Friday, August 7, 2015

LETTERS from INSTANBUL ..... from Helen


After a year in and out of hospital having ovarian cancer, a stroke and now a brain tumour, and all its attendant procedures, and trials, chemotherapy, hair loss, physiotherapy and so on, I decided I was well enough to go to Spain and travel around at my own pace, a bit rushed really but manageable, by car.  I have a sympathy stick to assist my walking and to warn inattentive tourists not to push me over!  My younger sister went with me to supervise which was really good.

We went to Malaga for a few days to swim in the crystal clear cool Mediterranean, then drove to Seville, Cordoba, Granada, Madrid and Barcelona.  A journey of about 15 days. We stayed in inexpensive hotels and even had a little apartment to ourselves in Barcelona.

I died with delight at the intricately decorated royal apartments of the Islamic age and the elegant shady gardens of the Alhambra (which I thought I would never see) and even managed to throw away the stick and dance a little flamenco with the gypsies.

Now I have planned out a piece of spare land at the back of my home in Melbourne to include elements of those beautiful gardens for me to enjoy and remember in my old age, whenever that might be.

I will be 74 on 1st September.

No comments:

Post a Comment